Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Eyes on Malaysia

If any Malaysian is so naive as to think that we are now standing in the eyes of the world because "We are now a space power", then they need to go to Reuter New's "Oddly Enough" section and count the news with our country in the title. That will make them rethink where we actually stand in the eyes of the world.

We appear in the Oddly Enough section so often that it must have boosted our tourism better than the "Eye on Malaysia" giant ferris wheel. If I were an Ang Moh I would be really interested to visit this country, to see why it has so much jokes and fun to show the world.

This time the news is about our favourite weapon - the keris.
[Read the news here - Malaysia's political knife act: theatre or threat?]

And some of the symbols associated with the dagger:

  • "when tension rises, the blood of Malay warriors will run in our veins"
  • "Datuk Hisham has unsheathed his keris, waved his keris, kissed his keris. We want to ask Datuk Hisham when is he going to use it"
  • "Hak Orang Melayu tidak boleh dicabar, jika tidak orang Melayu akan mengamok, peristiwa Mei 13 akan berulang yang ianya akan lebih teruk daripada tahun 1969 yang akan menjadikan Kuala Lumpur padang terkukur"
How in the world did those people escape judiciary for the incendiary remarks? Our newspapers can't tell you that. They can only report "Sekali lagi pemimpin negara mengobarkan semangat perpaduan dalam Perjumpaan Tahunan UMNO!!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Hak Orang Melayu tidak boleh dicabar, jika tidak orang Melayu akan mengamok, peristiwa Mei 13 akan berulang yang ianya akan lebih teruk daripada tahun 1969 yang akan menjadikan Kuala Lumpur padang terkukur"

That not only can one not regret the massacre, but threaten their fellow Malaysians with such dark history is truly disappointing and scary to say the least.

So many years of living together have taught us nothing. Humans truly are tribal creatures; seemingly best to stick with your kin. But when you are outnumbered and in somewhat foreign territory, then things can truly become a tad more unpredictable.

Somehow, I see a sad future for non-Malay Malaysians...

Anonymous said...

PS: I hope you don't have any friends whose name is Andrew..it was chosen randomly..

Anonymous said...

Haha I happen to have a friend called Andrew! :P

By the way I think that Malaysia's future won't be stark forever. When more educated people go back and become voters, the extremist, parochial people are going to be voted out of power eventually. I am only concerned that it will take so long that by the time it happens, I would already be 80. Hah.

Anonymous said...

That's assuming democracy survives. It will for as long as there are enough people that believe in it.

Only time can tell